Good location, 15 minute walk to the old ferry terminal for the ferry to the curonian spit. Quiet area. Good breakfast for an extra few euros. James 2015-06
The first information about the block of Puodžių Street houses No, 13, 15 and 17 goes as far as the year 1768. In the 2 part of 17 th century present-day Bokštų Street was considered to be ofmore importance. At that time, Bokštų Street (Baakenstrasse) was being called “street” and Puodžių Street (Topfer Gasse) was being called “lane”.
Later the setting changed, and at the end of l8th century merchants and artisans started building houses for themselves alongside Puodžių Street. Perhaps, during the fair-time pottery marts used to take place in this street, where potters marketed their production. In the layout, dated 1840, Puodžių Street is already called “Street” (“Strasse”).
BLOOCK SETTING IN THE IST P ART OF 19™ CENTURY (from the layout, dated 1840, kept in Merzenburg Archive)
In the layout, dated 1840, numbered plots of houses are found. The present-day houses No. 13-15 bore No. 678 and the present-day No. 17 bore No. 677. When during the fire of l854 a large part of town was burnt down, these houses remained untouched by fire and became shelter for many homeless people.
According to the list of citizens due to pay taxes, a butcher, a baker, a squire, a shoe trader, a clock maker, a master mariner, a court clerk and a surgeon resided in Puodžių Street No. 17. In some 1929 a teacher, a merchant, some potters, an agent, a trade assistant, trader and an office clerk resided here.
In some 1930, shops and artisan-workshops were open on the ground floor of the house No. 17. The complex of houses No. 13/15 and 17 is interesting because of its architecture in general. The forecourt is especially pictorial and distinctive with the diversity of forms. Perhaps, these houses are the oldest remaining in this district.
Worked out according to Historic Reference “Object: Houses in Klaipėda, Puodžių Street No. 13, 15, 17″byJ. Tatoris, Klaipėda, 1990.
HISTORY OF KLAIPĖDA (MEMEL)
Klaipėda was established on an empty shore by the Teutonic Kinghts in 1250s. Invited by duke of Masovia to convert or destroy pagan Baltic tribes the Order chose this place for its castle. They called it Memelburg. Memel is the German name for Nemunas river and the early settlers mistakenly believed that the straits linking Curonian lagoon to Baltic Sea are in fact the mouths of that mighty river.
Around the castle a town of primarily German craftsmen sprung up. The castle itself was constantly upgraded and managed to withstand all the wars against Lithuania leaving Klaipėda and its immediate surroundings the only area of modern Lithuania that has never been ruled by any Lithuanian state until the 20th century.
The agricultural countryside remained predominantly ethnic Lithuanian through ages and the Lithuanian name for the city “Klaipėda” was thus born in the 16th century as a pejorative, literally meaning “Bread eater” and referring to the castle garrison. The region was considered to be part of Lithuania Minor. With the secularisation of the local branch of Teutonic Order (1525) Klaipėda (Memel) became part of Prussia’s “Lithuanian kreises”. During the Napoleonic wars it even briefly held the status of Prussia’s capital as the royal family retreated here from danger (1807-1808). 19th century brought growth (5000 to 20000 people), even if hampered by the dangers of Russia’s proximity. To the likes of Richard Wagner or Heinrich Schlieman Klaipėda was a temporary career step. Others (among them more and more Lithuanian ex-villagers) arrived for good however, staffing the burgeoning trade and lumber industries. It was lumber what fueled the devastating fire of 1854 which caused 2/3 of the city to be rebuilt.
First mention of the house at Puodžių g. 17 dates back to 1768. The house not only remained untouched by the great fire in 1854, which devastated major part of the city, but also was not destroyed in the First and the Second World Wars. This way, the LITiNTERP Guest House preserved very interesting architecture and exceptional, artistic courtyard featuring a variety of shapes. Here, you can immerse yourself in the spirit of the 18th-century dwelling in the LITiNTERP Klaipėda Guest House, with its quietness and serenity not characteristic to urban hustle. The authentic brick arches and oak stairs that have been walked on for years will take you back to the atmosphere of the past ages…..
Prepared in accordance with http://www.truelithuania.com